The Pueblo Chile & Frijoles Festival is a community event that showcases Pueblo’s pride and uniqueness. It provides a stage for advocacy for locally sourced food and products, talent, arts and culture, local business and more. More than the annual family pilgrimage to stock up your freezer, the economic impact the festival generates is substantial and many businesses rely on this activity as a crucial part of their annual marketing and financial plan. The goal of the Greater Pueblo Chamber of Commerce is to maintain the culture and sustainability of this festival for generations to come.
As with many events during this unprecedented global pandemic we have been working to create an event plan that inspires resilience & faith for better days, while being responsible to our community’s health and safety. We have relied on the guidance of our local government and Public Health officials and have settled upon The Pueblo Chile & Frijoles THROWBACK Fest.
This year we will pay homage to our humble roots when the festival was but 1 block long and neither the staff, vendors, nor farmers ever dreamed there would be a second festival, let alone 26!
The Pueblo Chile & Frijoles THROWBACK Fest will focus on promoting the Pueblo Chile and other local agriculture, with a focus on Farm Stands and Famers Markets. As chile roasting gets into full swing we will feature local farm stands and the farmers behind them and encourage the public to:
• Purchase your Pueblo grown chile and fresh produce direct.
• Take advantage of specials and giveaways at scheduled locations.
• NEW 50/50 Chile Fest Jackpot, tickets will give purchasers a chance to “Spice up their Life” with half the proceeds of a community jackpot drawn on September 30th.
During the 26th Annual Pueblo Chile & Frijoles THROWBACK Fest there will be two downtown areas designated for farmers markets with your favorite Pueblo grown chile roasting on Saturday 9/26 and Sunday 9/27 from the hours of 8:00am to 7:00pm. Patrons will be able to purchase their produce in a safe and socially distanced outdoor environment. Safety protocols will be in place and enforced by security personnel.
• Famers Markets will be located at the SRDA Parking lot and on S. Grand Ave. in front of the Vail Hotel.
• No more than 175 guests allowed in any designated festival area at one time.
• Temperature checks and masks will be required to enter the farmers market.
• Separate entry and exit gates.
• Hand sanitizing stations available.
• NEW Curbside Pickup! Patrons will be able to place an order online with your favorite participating farm stand and have your order ready curbside for convenience. More details to come.
ADMISSION: The $5 gate admission will NOT be required this year, instead we will have an online portal to “Donate” your gate admission and receive a coupon for $2 off any beverage. Your donation will help to pay for the costs associated with maintaining the tradition of your Pueblo Chile & Frijoles Festival. Your support is greatly appreciated.
The Chili & Salsa Showdown will go on as tradition with commercial and home cook entries with winners announced at the end of each category competition. Applications and more information will be available online at festival.pueblochamber.org.
The Jalapeno Eating Contest will be cancelled this year due to the excessive amount of spicy fluids most contestants exude during the competition. Sorry! Another local favorite event, the Chihuahua Parade will also be on hold until next year.
We hope to inspire community participation and pride while incorporating Chile Fest themed offers and activities and encourage collaboration and engagement with all merchants, restaurants, attractions and organizations over the weekend festivities. Union Ave will remain open for through traffic as the public is encouraged to eat & shop local while in the area.
The Greater Pueblo Chamber of Commerce encourages you to show your support in any way you feel comfortable in these unprecedented times.
• Post your Chile Fest Throwback photos and stories.
• Purchase your Pueblo Chile at the fest or from your favorite farm directly.
• Shop and eat local, attend the downtown festivities with your safety and those around you in mind.
For questions contact Rod Slyhoff, President/CEO, 719-542-1704 or email@example.com or Donielle Kitzman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pueblo Chile & Frijoles Festival © 2020. All Rights Reserved. A Digital Hart Media Creation